Muslims and Sports Workshop
Department of Anthropology and Sociology, SOAS, University of London
in partnership with
CISD, Sport and Diplomacy Colloquium, Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy, SOAS, University of London
Event date: Saturday 6 July 2013
Time: 14:30 until 17:30
Venue: Room 4421, Main Building, SOAS, University of London, Russell Square, London.
(Nearest tube-underground: Russell Square Station)
Download Workshop Programme PDF FILE:
Panel 1 Muslim Women and Sport 14:30-15:30
- Dr. Samaya Samie (Centre of Sport, Peace & Society at the University of Tennessee)
“Strange, Incompetent and Out of Place: Mediated Representations of Muslim Sports Women during the London 2012 Games”
- Dr. Haifa Tlili (Paris Descartes University, France)
“Health and Body Construction of Maghrebian Women in France, Montreal and Tunisia”
- Sertaç Sehlikoglu (PhD Candidate, Social Anthropology, University of Cambridge)
“Boundaries of a veiled female body: Women’s Islamic reflections on Sporting Bodies, Women and Islam”
- Sanaa Qureshi (MSc Birmingham University)
“Does participation in sport empower women in Pakistan to be able to challenge gender roles? What is the impact, if any, of religion on this?”
Panel 2 Islamophobia, Identity and Integration 15:30-16:30
- Dr. Nasya Bahfan (University of New South Wales, Australia)
“Embracing Footy: The Sporting Dimensions Of Australian Muslim Identity In Western Sydney”
- Omar Salha (PhD Candidate, SOAS, University of London)
“Islamic Diplomacy and Sport: Peace-building, identity and integration”
- Kaleem Hussain (Research Associate at the Foundation of Science, Technology & Civilisation, FSTC, UK).
“How has Islamophobia and/or multiculturalism affected the role of sport for Muslims and Muslim societies and cultures–both locally and/or internationally?”
Panel 3 Muslims of the Balkans 16:30-17:30
- Penny Munden (Independent researcher, Albanian and Greek interpreter)
“The Changing Fortunes of Sport in Albania”
Convenors: Dr. Sevket Hylton Akyildiz, Omar Salha (MA, SOAS), Sertac Sehlikoglu (PhD Candidate, University of Cambridge)
Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy, CISD, SOAS, University of London.
With special thank you, for assistance given, to Professor Richard Fardon, Anthropology and Sociology Department, SOAS, University of London.